Total Pageviews

Monday, July 2, 2007

Lions and Tigers and BEES, oh my!

We have now discovered Nathanael is NOT allergic to bees. Tough way to find out though.… Most yards in base housing are covered with clover and bees. I didn’t realize my brave boy had taken his shoes off (he’d been playing in water) and was merrily tripping along as nature intended until the bee and he met unexpectedly.

Oh--the howls! Hannah ran home to get Daddy as our neighbors and I held Nathanael and finally removed the stinger. I asked Ryan later what Hannah told him when she found him, he said it was something like, "Mommy wants you to get the toothpaste. There's a BIG emergency! Nathanael was bit by a spider!" Now, to give her credit, I think I did mention that toothpaste is supposed to help w/ bee stings, but her sole directive was to get Daddy. Fortunately, Ryan simply ran to our rescue. He grabbed Nathanael and plunked him in a sink of cold water at home. That seemed to do the trick (that and Daddy's presence:).

Later as he was getting ready for bed, I explained to him when the bee stung him, it hurt Nathanael but the bee died. In typical boy fashion, the crazy boy cheered right up and was tickled by the bee's death--"The bee died!!!" So, in a way, I guess I made him feel better, too. Poor bee.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'd been howling along with you all as I really strongly dislike even the buzz of bees. Glad Your "ok" buddy...
Love you all
Dusty, Rachel & Norah
Guess who's afraid of bees?